[pcductape] Re: transfer of files

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:45:32 -0500

I had 2 boxes connected with a crossover for the longest time before I got a
switch to hook up 4 machines.  That's how I viewed/transferred/opened files
on the other machine.  As long as the network connection between the 2
machines is working then you should be able to do as I suggested.

Pam

  See attached. I have not checked the links lately,  Dave

  Hi Pam,

  The two computers are not networked as via cable via modem but are
connected by crossover cable which are plugged into the network cards.
Unit 1 is the unit that is host from the cable modem but I unpluged the
cable from the modem.   But you do raise an interesting point.   I wonder if
I can use Explorer on both computers to see each other via the crossover
cable.   I'll try it tonight when I get home from the office.

  Thanks for the suggestion.

  Carl

    Hi Carl,
    If the network is running properly, and if you only want to transfer 1
file (but you aren't limited to transferring only 1 file), you can do it
from  an Explorer Window (right click on Start and choose Explorer).

    Pam

      Hi Group,

      I am trying to transfer files from computer B (old unit with 4gig) to
computer A (new unit with 60gig) and I am stumped.   I purchased a crossover
cable and connected the 2 computers by Network cards and followed the
instructions under Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Files & Settings
Transfer Wizard and after about an hour, the old computer unit B gives me a
message that it cannot continue because of insufficient space.     The
process on unit B was "Preparing for Transfer" and that is what took an
hour.   How do I transfer just 1 folder?    The error message indicated that
it was "backing up".   Why?