[pcductape] Re: teach me about networking and internet sharing

  • From: DGrell7446@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:03:39 EDT

In a message dated 09/07/2003 8:32:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
bschonfeld@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> . Now what do I need to get so I can have both computers on line at the
> same time. I have a dial up conection. I am interested in making this
> possible,
> but don't even know where to start ..

  Barbara
     I will gladly help you get them going. (Please be patient tho, I have
been sooo busy.)
     I currently have 3 old computers on 1 dialup connection, running
flawlessly.
    Here's the setup;
                  1st computer, p200 with 128 mg ram, small HD (gesh having
problems remembering whats in the computer) and NIC running Win98se.
                  2nd computer, just like the first with less ram.
                  3rd computer, p766 with 128 mg ram, larger HD, NIC, Win98se.
    I am not running my network through a hub/router, I am using the old coax
peer to peer setup. I use the TCP/IP protocol for the internet part, and
other protocols for my file sharing. I am using Win98se internet connection
utitility. I installed the internet connection utitilty on computer 1 as the
server
(connection point). The software will have you make a client disk, and I used
the client disk in computer 2 & 3 and we have connection, slow but it works.
    Barbara I think that XP (if that is what you are running) has the
internet connection utitility. I would go with a switched hub or router,
connect you
NIC cards to the hub, make sure you have TCP/IP protocol in your network
properties, run the internet connection software, and hopefully you will make
the
connection.
   A tip: after you install the internet connection on the server computer
you must be connected to the internet before using the client disk on computer
2.
   Also I think the site is www.practicallynetworked.com (hope that address
is correct)  has information for what you would like to do.
   Let me know if you need more info
  HTH
  De