[pcductape] Re: scanning documents

  • From: "Elaine" <Elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:02:39 +0100

Hi Barbara

When I scan in pictures with my scanner I tend use  400 + resolution and I have
it set to either Tiff or Bmp file formats for saving scanned images.    When
sending scanned pictures through email its not what your scanner scans in at,
it to do with the compression rate of the final picture.    I always if
possible try to send through email picture files below 50kb.

To achieve this I use a great little program called PicaView 32 for converting
images to BMP, PCX, JPEG (including progressive JPEG) or TGA  without losing
image degradation, once they have been scanned and saved to my harddrive.

With the pic you sent I converted it to a bmp ( so as to not to distort the
image you sent) this sise then was 4.50Mb    I then reconverted it by
compressing the bmp down to a jpg  using PicaView 32.  The illustration pic is
saved as a 16 colour bitmap and the converted to gif with another little
program that I use called IrfanView so as to make it smaller in sise this
screen shot is just 21.1kb but you do lose colour but its great for sending
screen shots explaining in visual detail.

Now the X-ray file is the same width and height of the one you sent at 455kb
But the sise of it now is 30.5kb,

If you want to try this program the you can download it from here its on my
home page   http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zona01/pvu32131.exe    this file is
942kb

same applies to the IranView
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zona01/IrfanView.zip      this file is 392kb