[pcductape] Re: restore disk

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 05:57:57 +0200

Elaine,

I am sorry to disappoint you in part - coz no way you are going to be able
to put all your c: partition on a restore disk. The only caveat to that
sentence is if that disk is another hard disk - and then all you have to do
is "ghost" your current c: to the other empty hard disk and presto - you
have a full backup just in case. When trouble strikes all you have to do is
open up the comp, swap hard disks, reboot and your up and running.

What I do is , after doing a basic install of my OS and minimal
configuration of new system -

1. Make an image of my c: on another partition of my hard disks [I have
300GB of hard disks on my comp]
2. All the programs and updates [including MS updates] I first download to
my comp and only then are installed. After I have about 600mb of updates and
programs I burn them to a CD , those CD'd are stored away.
3. I run a weekly back-up job that backs up all the new docs and data on my
comp - these too are thrown onto a CD .

In this fashion - if something goes seriously awry it normally doesn't take
me too long to bring my system back to life.

TTFN - Vic

  _____