[pcductape] Re: [pcductape]Sandi

  • From: "Eric Skeen" <northcom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:13:21 +0200

Hi Elaine,

Here is a method which I wrote for another group some time ago. These
programs are based on my experience, there are, of course, other ways.
Although written more specifically for converting Vinyl to CD, the
same principle applies for tape recordings. Please note that Cool Edit
is now Adobe Audition.

I hope the following will be of some use to you:

---
Guys & Gals,

'Tis indeed very easy. Here is just one way, there are others. Let us
assume you have the following:

        *       Music Match JukeBox www.musicmatch.com
        *       A GOOD Sound Card
        *       A GOOD Stereo Turntable connected to a Stereo set
        *       A wave-editing program, such as Cooledit www.syntrillium.com

It is important to ensure your vinyl disks (records, LP's,
whatever...) are
clean and dry before use. If they are dirty, wash them in clean, tepid
tap
water (use a wee bit of dish-washer liquid if you have to). It is best
not get the label wet. Dry the record thoroughly using a soft,
lint-free
cloth. It goes without say to hold the record by its outer perimeter
and
not put greasy fingers all over the grooves.

Ensure the stylus (the thin, usually diamond-tipped thingy at the end
of
the tone arm is clean and not full of fluff. Exercise great caution
here,
you could destroy this expensive item if you're not careful. If you do
need
to wipe it clean, use a junior paint brush or something similar, and
GENTLY
wipe TOWARD you, along the axis of the stylus.

The Turntable should be connected to the appropriate input of the
Stereo,
usually marked MAG P/U (or M/C, etc). This assuming you are using a
Magnetic cartridge and not the older, obsolete Crystal type P/U. If
you are
using a crystal p/u, then connect this to the AUX I/P of the Stereo.

The Stereo in turn connects from it's LINE (or TAPE OUT, AUX) Output
to the
LINE Input of your Sound card in the PC. Under NO circumstances should
you
take a lead from the Stereo Loudspeaker/s to your Line I/P, this will
simply fry your Soundcard! The cable required here is either easily
made up
comprising one pair screened audio cable with a Stereo Mini-Jack one
end,
and two RCA Jacks the other. You should be able to buy ready-made
leads.
This cable should not exceed about 3 metres in length, as this could
start
degrading the audio signal.

Now start the recording: The music should be heard playing on the
stereo
set.
Start MMJB. Click on the OPTIONS tab and select Recorder. Scroll down
Source, then select LINE IN.

Double-click on the audio (VOL) icon in your sys tray, near the clock
bottom right of the computer. The Windows Mixer should pop up on your
screen. Click on OPTIONS, select PROPERTIES, and click on the "ADJUST
VOLUME FOR RECORDING" checkbox. Check also that LINE-IN is checked in
the
list below this. Click OK, and now check that the Line In option is
active.
Adjust the volume control to approximately 50 to 60%. The sound should
change accordingly on your PC speakers. This setting is critical: Too
many
people think the louder the better, in fact the audio simply clips and
distorts if the Input volume level is set too high. The value of your
recording will be lost in this case.

On MMJB, now select the RECORD button which will open the Recorder.
Set the
title for your LP in the right hand pane. Restart the turntable from
the
beginning of the record, press the RECORD button, and MMJB should now
indicate it is recording the music you want. You can record the LP in
one
go or do it track for track. There are facilities available which will
split the tracks appropriately, one such program being LP-Ripper
available
from here:

http://www.cfbsoftware.com/lpripper/lpripper.htm

Points to remember: Set your MMJB settings to save the recorded file
in
whatever format you wish - if you want to edit it for pops & cracks,
save
it to a wav file. It would be wise to make plenty of space available
on
your hard drive for the wav file, and you should defrag the drive as
well.
Otherwise, if you elect to save directly as an MP3, set the bitrate at
128kb/s or, for better quality, 160kb/s.

Should you wish to edit your file, then I would recommend CoolEdit,
which
is probably the best wave-editing s/w available. If you have a
registered
version of Cooledit, you can use it directly and dispense with MMJB.
Cooledit has plug-in filters available for removing hiss, pops, cracks
etc,
but be careful here, as too much cleaning results in sterile &
unnatural
sound.

That's about it; there are, of course, other means of achieving the
same
end result, and no doubt others will write in with their suggestions.
Read
them all and go for whatever suits you best. Roxio includes a simple
wave
editor with their software, I have never used it so cannot report on
how
effective it is. My own recordings are made using Cooledit which,
although
expensive (and especially here in SA!!) is absolutely worth every cent
if
you're serious about your music. For the record, I have some 2000 LPs
of
various sorts, and have only started ripping about 50 songs so far.
It
takes ages to clean the files up using software, which is why it is
very
important to start off with as clean a sample as possible.

In conclusion, you can use the same method to record from Tapes.
Cooledit
will remove hiss from tape recordings, but be aware - too much hiss
removal
results in an unnatural sterile sound. Leave a bit of hiss in the
final
recording for more authenticity!

Happy recording!!

(E&OE, this was written from memory...)