[pcductape] Re: [pcductape]=20's again

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:52:21 -0600

Bob explained the equal sign, quite satisfactorily.  I just did some
research and the "20" means blank in many charsets, including windows-1252
charset, therefore, it would appear that you have 2 separate characters,
translating literally to "return blank".  That's why there are no references
to "=20" in searches for the problem.  So, for me the puzzle is now solved.

Pam

   equal sign , not a 20

  To provide word-wrap capability, the lines are packaged in
  "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format. This ends each line with an equal
sign to
  indicate that it continues to the next line

  " + "
  trapper@xxxxxxx

  This is from the a Microsoft K article, when I did a search.

  When a message is sent using "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format, an
equal
  sign is added to the end of the line to let the browser know that the line
  continues. Therefore, there is only one quote character at the beginning
of each
  paragraph quoted.

  The main purpose of "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format is to allow for
line
  wrapping. When you send mail on the Internet, you can send only 80
characters on
  a line of text. To provide word-wrap capability, the lines are packaged in
  "Plain Text, Quoted Printable" format. This ends each line with an equal
sign to
  indicate that it continues to the next line.

  Bob Noble

  | I have conducted web searches of the "=20's"  problem and came up empty.
When
  I query the Microsoft knowledgedatabase, it came back with several
"articles"
  but none were related.    It is unusual that this problem is not better
  documented.   :-)
  | Carl
  | ps, I think Pam knows more about the issue than the rest of us together.
:-)

  |   "Proud to be 100% Microsoft free!"
  |    GUESS I am going to have to take back every thing I ever said about
them
  ha! My kind of guys  :-) least technically...!

  |   Are you saying because they are Linux and we are MS using HTM that we
are in
  conflict??? Thus the 20's????
  |   Anyone ever been able to do a web search for this problem..?
  |   I think Bob tried but came up with next to nothing?
  |   If this is a old problem I would have thought it would have been well
  documented? Appears like we have discovered a brand new, almost never
heard of
  problem, Which I doubt.