[pcductape] Re: password problem

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 07:34:18 -0500

Hi Carl,

Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 7:27:57 AM, you wrote:

C> Yep, I'm still stupid.   When I installed Windows xp some years ago, I did
C> change the name but I did not assign a password.

C> I am hoping someone will send a message how I can search the registry for
C> the new name.   But I can do that because windows will not load.

C> Can one search the registry via dos?   I can boot to dos.  (I think)

If you don't have NTFS, you can boot from a DOS floppy and look in
"\Documents and Settings" to see the names of the accounts that are in

If you use NTFS, you can pull the hard drive and attach it to another
computer running Win2K or WinXP, and look at it that way. Or, you can
download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD (http://ubcd.sourceforge.net,
it's not very big, I don't think) to do the looking; it'll let you
change the login password also, if needed. Select the second option on
the menu ("Filesystem", I think), and then select the Offline NTFS
editor, or whatever it's called. Just press Enter until it gives you a
list of names.