[pcductape] Re: password problem

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:15:01 -0500

Hi Carl,

C> Thanks for your suggestions.   I tried them all and still I cannot boot up
C> in regular mode.   I can boot into safe mode using the login name of
C> "administrator" with no password.   However, when I try to boot into regular
C> mode and I enter login name of "administrator" with no password, I get an
C> error message as "Unable to logon because account restriction."

C> Are you familiar with the registry?   I wonder if I can hack the registry
C> from safe mode?   I can get a "run" slot in safe mode so I should be able
C> to.    How would I hack the registry to fix my problem?

I wish you'd said that in the first place; it would have saved a lot
of useless suggestions.

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy,
Local Policies, Security Options, and check the following:

Accounts: Administrator account status = Enabled

Under User Rights Assignment, check the following:

Deny logon locally = Guest (maybe a couple more, but NOT
Administrators)
Log on locally = Administrators (among others)

You might also try adding a new account, if you haven't already.

--Scott.