• From: "Elaine Bradshaw" <zona01@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Elaine" <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:20:26 +0100

Hi folks

I hope this helps some one

W32.Blaster.Worm and its variants, exploits a security issue that was addressed
by Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026. This issue concerns a vulnerability in
the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) function.

The following products could be affected by this worm:

  a.. Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0
  b.. Microsoft Windows® 2000
  c.. Microsoft Windows XP
  d.. Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003
Other versions of Windows are not affected. If you are running Microsoft
Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), or Windows Millennium
(Windows Me), you do not need a Windows security update for this issue.

How can I tell if the worm is affecting my computer?

Some customers whose computers have been infected may not notice the presence
of the worm at all, while others who are not infected may experience problems
because the worm is attempting to attack their computer. Typical symptoms may
include Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 systems rebooting every few minutes
without user input, or Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 systems becoming
unresponsive. Whether you are experiencing these symptoms or not, Microsoft
recommends that you take the following action immediately:

  a.. If you're running Windows Server 2003 or Windows NT 4.0, follow Steps 1–3
for home users on this page.
  b.. If you're running Windows XP or Windows 2000, follow all Steps 1–4 for
home users on this page.

The FAQ's