[pcductape] Re: mouse troubles

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bob Noble <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:44:12 -0500

Hello Barbara,

Sunday, June 1, 2003, 2:59:25 PM, Bob wrote:

BN> The funny part of this to me is that you said you were able to make it
change to
BN> the other direction after doing some tinkering.

Yes, sounds like the "new" mouse is dirty also; often the only spare
mouse sitting around is the one that was on the system before, which
usually has the exact same problem.

If it's an optical mouse, you're very unlikely to have this problem.
If the mouse has a ball, open it and check all 3 rollers, and make
sure that the "ring" is removed from all 3 of them. Check the ball; if
it's splotchy/discolored, take the ball to the sink and scrub it off
with a brush to get the spots off. I don't know about using one of
thouse rough pads; might be too rough. Check the pad; if the surface
is cloth, you're better off without a mouse pad (many people often
persist in using very poor pads when the table surface is perfectly ok
for rolling the mouse on), since it seems to collect lint very easily.

--Scott.