[pcductape] Re: low resources on fresh boot up - it's virus free

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:04:30 -0600

Persistence/patience paid off.  I had to leave so left the computer sitting
at the 95% level and when I came back much later it had actually finished
downloading. I just finished running the online virus scanner at
housecall.antivirus.com and it came back with a clean bill of health.
I downloaded AdAware and it found 98 instances of spyware.  Got rid of those
and now there is 22% free resources, which is much improved but still not
good.

Also, I noticed that this box is doing a couple of other strange things.   I
tried going to google to look up some stuff and it wouldn't let me type in
the form box.  When I explored further it will not allow one to type in any
form box.  I tried from the AOL browser and the IE browser.  The IE browser,
when I download a page with a form box displays an error message that wants
to report the error to MS, then closes that browser window and opens a new
browser instance.
When you go to Start/Settings/Control Panel.... you can't get there.
Instead it throws a script error message box and remains blank (empty).  But
I can get to some things via MyComputer/Properties.
This makes me think there is something wrong with a scripting file on the
system.

Any thoughts anyone?

Pam

  online virus scanners; they will scan all the files on your hard drive for
a virus.

  http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

  Norton Web Services
  Go to this page and click on Scan for Viruses

http://security2.norton.com/ssc/vc_about.asp?langid=us&venid=sym&plfid=22&pk
j=RKNYPJUIYCZRWEJGSSK

  It needs to download a few file so as to activate the scan so you may see
a message like this.