[pcductape] low resources on fresh boot up

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:46:15 -0600

Hey All,
I'm looking at a machine running ME, that when freshly booted, claims to
have only 8% resources free and warns that some programs won't run.

His original complaint is that he can no longer cut or copy, and paste.
He's running AOL 8.0 and he's right, you can't, but when I opened MS Works,
I could highlight but copy or cut was not in the right click options.  I
tried CTRL C and it copied just fine, and then tried right click again and
Paste was available.  Ok, so it looks like that complaint depends on which
program you are in.

I am currently attempting to run an online virus scan on the machine to
eliminate any question there.  He's running something called System Suite 4,
but I don't find a way to update it.... yet.  Anyone know if it auto
updates?

He's got LOTS of stuff on his machine that he's downloaded but the hdd shows
only about 10% full.  I haven't even begun to explore that yet because the
system resources caught my attention.

I'm going to clean up the temp files and such too.

Need LOTS of suggestions on what to look at and look for.  I know nothing
about the ME operating system.