[pcductape] Re: functions

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pam <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:52:57 -0500

Hi Pam,

P> I understand about each program determining its own functions. What I want
P> to do is assign the hot spots to be exactly the same as if I depressed the
P> key on my keyboard. For example, if I assign hot spot #1 to be the same
P> thing as if I were to depress the PLUS key then whatever function the PLUS
P> key does in whatever app I am working in... it will do it just as if I
P> depressed the PLUS key on he keyboard. And if I touched the #1 hotspot while
P> in Notepad, for example, it would simply type a "plus sign". The character
P> code for a plus is U+002B. But I cannot simply assign the character code
P> because it tells me it cannot execute U+002B. So I am thinking that maybe
P> U+002B points to something else that it CAN execute.
P> Does that make better sense?

When you press a key, what you get is a KEY CODE. It bears no
resemblance to the character or whatever that you eventually see. A
low-level routine is responsible for converting key codes to
characters. Thus, the "-" key on the main keyboard and the "-" key on
the numeric keypad produce different key codes (which is why some
programs react differently to the two), but are translated into the
same letter by the routine.

If your keypad comes with a programming utility, you can use it to
reprogram the keys to respond with the sequence of characters or key
codes (or both, depending upon the design of the utility) that you

The "U+002B" is presumably the Unicode code for the plus sign. Most
utilities that I've seen to date use ASCII codes. If your utility says
that it's trying to "execute" what you put in, then you may be dealing
with the other type, in which a keypress causes a command to be
executed. Put in CMD.EXE and see if a CMD window appears when you
press the button.

It's certainly possible to get a key to return a different key code,
but you may need a low-level routine to do it.  Someone else may be
able to find something suitable.