[pcductape] Re: functions

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pam <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:27:59 -0500

Hi Pam,

P> Thre are functions on a keyboard like page up and delete. I am assuming that
P> these keys point to something, like a shortcut points to an app. Am I right?
P> If so, and specifically the delete key, how would I access the delete
P> function without depressing the delete key?
P> Background/reason... I have a 2nd keyboard (sort of). It deals more with
P> mouse movements but has 12 assignable hot spots. I would like to assign the
P> delete key, the plus key and the minus key to 3 of them if it is possible.
P> Thoughts on how to access that ?

What the keys do depends upon the program that you're using.  Each key
sends a specific code to the computer, and the program interprets it
the way that it wants to.

For programmable keyboards, such as are used in point-of-sale
applications, the keyboard can be told what codes to send for a
particular key.

The keyboard that you have may be different; it may come with a shim
program that intercepts the key codes (before they get to your
application) and executes a corresponding program. For instance, you
may have an "Email" key which the shim program sees and opens a
particular email program, such as Outlook Express.

--Scott.