[pcductape] Re: digital camera software / RUNTIME ERROR?

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:56:20 +0200

In short - Hyper threading is the lates ability of Pentium 4 CPU's to "fool"
the computer into thinking you have a dual processor computer - it is able
to run many "threads" of computation at once - in effect speeding up a lot
of processes. At the moment not so many programs can use Hyper Threading to
the full.
I think it is only enabled on Intel Pentium 4 CPU's from 2.8 mghz and above
- they use a different internal architecture of the CPU itself and a newer
set of internal instructions in order to enable Hyper Threading.

Try to copy the upgrade CD to your hard disk and running the upgrade from

In brief - Proxy - is a set up whereby internet servers use a cache to serve
up web pages that are more commonly used - for example the google web page
is used by many many people so it would make sense to have this page cached
on the nearest web server that your ISP uses to speed up the serving of the
web page and to cut down on broadband usage. Of course the proxy cache is
renewed every so and so hours from the ISP itself. If you are using a proxy
it can make contacting a site much more difficult for a program that is only
looking for home as opposed to a web browser which handles things
differently when it knows it should look first for a proxy cache and only
after that go out to the web.

TTFN - Vic

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty,
to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better;