[pcductape] Re: dial up speeds

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:04:44 +0200

Hi there,

The term winmodems is only for internal modems - coined from Linux/Unix as
these were deemed "windows" modems and until a while ago almost impossible
to use under those OS's. Back then [not so long ago either] to run a modem
on Linux it had to be an external one.

The so called barrier of the cable to serial port from the external modem is
non existent nowadays - a serial port can run at way above the speed your
telephone line can send on so that is not an issue [ it was way back but no
longer].

Read this for a laugh and note the speed of the comm port - 115200   !!!!!!
http://www.support.psi.com/support/common/ra/win3.x/modem.html

and look at this page for a comparison of port speeds - note that the max
for a serial port is 230Kbps  !!!!!  Way beyond a tel line.

http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/5.0/usbcomparison.html

As for your claim that external modems use more CPU cycles than an internal
one - how exactly?, as they are not in connection to the CPU????  As
oppossed to an internal modem that sits on the mobo alongside the CPU ???

TTFN - Vic

  _____