[pcductape] Re: dial up speeds

  • From: BREZZ132@xxxxxx
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:17:37 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/03 12:32:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Personally, I have always preferred external modems
Personal preferences are usually based upon good experience with the item in
question.  I worked with several modems in the "good old days" and while the
external modems were usually superior to internal ones - - - that changed as
the computer "Bus speeds" increased. As I understand it - - -While all
modems are limited by their ability to transmit over telehone lines, the
input speeds of external modems were limited to the (serial) transmission speed
from the computer to the external modem over the connecting cable.  When CPU
speeds increased dramatically, the external  modems could not keep up with
the input speed of the internal modems.  Unfortunately, some modem
 (prodded by cpu builders) were able to reduce their costs by allowing the
processors to take over many of their functions - - - thereby reducing their
effective speed.  You can usually tell these modems by the terms "WinModems" or
"Windows Compatible" statements on the box they come in.

And that, is my understanding of telephone modems.

Jupiter Matt

JPEG image