[pcductape] Re: dial up speeds

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 07:32:02 +0200

Hi All
I would like to refine this a tad. The difference is as follows
One is called an "external" modem and is not inside your comp as the name
says - it has all the parts integrated into it and does not use any
resources of your computer at all, including power which it is hooked up to
independently of your comp.
The second is an internal modem - it sits in a slot inside your computer -
and although it is a card it uses power and CPU resources from your comp.
Though the amount of resources is not all that much - it does and can slow
down your comp - especially if you are using almost all your resources in
any case.
Personally, I have always preferred external modems . Also most internal
modems or "winmodems" do not work with the Linux OS, that I use often [dual
P.S. Satellite Dish connection - unless it is a 2-way satellite connection -
you are still going to be using your telephone line for the upload - wich is
needed to give orders to the web - be it "Download my mail, now" or "get me
such and such a page"  Meaning that the downloads will be very fast if it is
a file or program you are downloading, but a webpage with lots of little
elements will download slower - though faster than if you had only a

TTFN - Vic