[pcductape] diagnosing a problem

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 20:10:26 -0500

Hi all,
A friend asked me to look at her computer, a Compaq, running Win98, and
that's all she knows about it and all that I can get to (screen wise).  She
said it wouldn't boot up.  I brought it home and what I see when I attempt
to boot is the orignal "Compaq" screen, and then the Win 98 cloud screen.  I
can hear the hdd doing it's thing, the blue line at the bottom of the cloud
screen moves normally for a bit and then the machine freezes; the blue line
quits moving, the hdd sounds stop, the cloud screen never goes away.
She is computer illiterate except to work in email and MS Word.  Her kids
got it "used" for her for Christmas.  Any suggestions on what to check or
do?