[pcductape] Re: can you hear the pin drop? YES - & Outlook Express

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 17:36:03 +0200

Have you cleaned out your old messages and sent messages etc, to much
stuff in your Outlook express folders can cause problems.
As for the "old" people - well I guess that is part of being a
journalist. Let me ask you - Why do you say that , would you leave your
job to be done by a "youngster" if you could do just the same if not
As for me - well I'll just paste in something I wrote to another group I
am on and you can read all about me [ROTFLMAO]
I am just fine here. Have heard a few planes overhead, but that is
nothing out of the normal for this area where I live - and I know that
the Israeli Air force has locked down the airspace over Israel, so not
worried about that at all.
I am telling everyone round here the following sentence as my "war"
motto [everyone round here being paranoid about falling missiles and
"If you hear a boom, well it is too late, and if you don't hear a boom,
then why worry?" - let me explain -
If you hear a boom and it is a chemical or biological warhead, the
chances of you surviving or not being at the very least "ill/wounded"
unless you are in a chemical/biological bunker or wearing full costume
anti-chemical/biological equipment are slim, having only a gas mask
[like 99.9% of the population will only prevent the gas from entering
your lungs - your skin is still unprotected, even if you are in a
"closed" room with plastic and duct-taped windows and doors - the blast
of the missile in proximity will blow those "protections" to smithereens
along with shards of glass been thrown at you etc etc. Being in a normal
bunker will of course enhance your ability to survive the boom and a
conventional missile fall, but chemical and biological is spread on the
air and tends to seek [in average weather conditions] the lowest place -
therefore an underground bunker is not the best place to be.
IMHO the best to do is just sit and wait - if you do hear a boom and it
is not near - figure out where it hit and then quickly move upwind of
that area. If it did hit very close by , stay put - wait for the
emergency people to show up - they will do so very quickly here in
Israel as they have teams spread out all over the country and they will
do the best they can for you - it will do no good to spread a biological
threat by moving into a clean area - and a chemical one hitting nearby
you will need to be attended to immediately in any case.
All that having been said - I am really pissed off at the huge waste of
money and resources put into this whole effort of "protecting the
population" when the threat level is said to be so very very low, the
success of just a gas mask is low, the country is in such bad economic
situation, and worse yet - there have been a lot of old masks and
Atropine syringes been given out during the last refreshment of the
gasmasks in Israel.
After the Gulf war - all the gas masks in Israel were "refreshed" and
everyone changed them once or twice during the last 10 years - on
average the filters last about 6-7 years unopened [they work on active
charcoal etc which does loose it's effectiveness even unopened, the same
for the Atropine chemical syringe].
Two nights ago the public was told to open the boxes and connect filter
to mask etc. A lot of people found old stuff in their boxes, broken
masks etc etc etc. It has been an ongoing fiasco as during the last 3
months or so a few "mistakes" have been found with the masks etc.
Now, having the boxes opened again , means that they will all have to be
replaced after the war - yet again - meaning more expenditure of new
masks, manpower etc etc. Stupid Stupid Stupid.
All this just to pacify people where a huge % of the people already
realize that the effort and precautions are useless.
Well I'll be getting of the soapbox now - and know I am okay and not in
the least worried about the whole story.

TTFN - Vic