[pcductape] Re: bugbear virus

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carl <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:37:48 -0500

Hi Carl,

C> Yes that is always good advice.   However in my case I was in a frame of
C> mind to do a reinstall of Windows xp if I screwed up.   I had decided that I
C> would delete all restore files on the computer and then do a new install,
C> which means I would have had to download all of Miscrosoft's updates.
C> Btw, I noticed that bugbear attached itself to adaware.exe and to winzip.exe
C> before I was able to remove the virus.   I wonder why the maker of the virus
C> wanted to attached to random .exe files;   what purpose did it serve?

Reinstalling is often safer.  :)

Try installing updates on a couple hundred computers that have a modem
at most, or might just be a POS with no CD-ROM drive, just a network
connection to other computers that DO have CD-ROM drives. :( What I
don't understand is why Microsoft hasn't come out with a standalone
Windows Update that can be run from CD.

Don't complain -- viruses used to cheerfully zap ALL files on a
system.

Attaching to random files increases the probability of missing a file
when you clean up.  The alternatives are hitting only specified files,
which is straightforward (clean or replace those files), or hitting
all files, which is also straightforward (save documents and data
files, then wipe and reformat).  About ten years ago, would regularly
have to scan every single floppy in the shop, and then mark them as
scanned, to make sure that the latest pest wasn't hiding somewhere.

--Scott.