[pcductape] Re: Windows Update

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lisa Schnepf <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:56:25 -0600

Hi Lisa,

An addendum to what Vic and others wrote...

Wednesday, February 4, 2004, 12:37:46 AM, you wrote:

LS> Ok, I just installed 15 Critical Windows Updates. The reason why I
LS> haven't installed them before- besided having problems with the driver
LS> updates I installed, my brother (the computer genius) told me that the
LS> windows updates can screw up your computer.  I have no idea if I needed

They can, but NOT having them is usually the greater of two evils.

The messenger buffer overrun patch will not stop the messenger
messages from appearing; it simply fixes a bug in the messenger.
Whoever is sending those messages can't tell if you actually have the
bug or not without actually sending a message that takes advantage of
the bug (which they could be doing, for that matter).

Driver updates generally should be ignored unless you're having a
problem with the device in question or you're feeling adventurous.

As for Norton, ideally you should have auto-protect turned on.  If it
found several viruses, then apparently it's not.

--Scott.