[pcductape] Re: WinXP-to- W98

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BREZZ132@xxxxxx" <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:45:15 -0600

Hi Jupiter,

Bcc> I have a client who just bought a new, basic PC at
Bcc> CompUSA.  He wanted to upgrade his programs from a slower Pentium
Bcc> PC.  However, several of his DOS programs will not run on the XP
Bcc> machine.
Bcc>   I'm not that familar with XP but I proposed to re-format
Bcc> his new PC and load W98SE, (what he has on his old machine).  He
Bcc> went back to CompUSA and they told him that it would not work.  I
Bcc> haven't done that particular switch before but I don't believe it
Bcc> will be a problem - - - except perhaps for some special drivers
Bcc> that I might have to download from the new PC.

Which programs don't work? Make sure that you have WinXP SP1 installed
as well as the compatibiliy updates from WindowsUpdate. Also, create
an icon for the program(s) in question, then look at the properties
for the icon; you should see a Compatibility tab; select Win98 or
Win95 compatibility, to see if that helps. Furher, note that there are
two different command shells, one is CMD.EXE and the other is
COMMAND.COM; you may get better results with COMMAND.COM. Microsoft
went to some effort to make WinXP backwards-compatible with Win98, so
your "several" statement kinda surprises me. I started out with DOS,
so when I moved to Windows, backwards compatibility was important for
me. Nearly everything that I wanted to use worked, and most of the
rest either had better replacements in Windows (especially if they
don't make mouse use mandatory, like some brain-dead programmers do),
or don't really apply to Windows. With Win2K and WinXP, some programs
are blocked for security reasons; logging on as Administrator
("Owner", on some brands) will bypass this problem.  There's also an
Application Compatibility Toolkit that you can download which has
fixes for a large number of specific programs, mostly games.

The problem with Win98 is getting drivers for the newer hardware. If
the hardware is relatively standard, this probably won't be much of a
problem. Also, if the machine has 512M or more of memory, you may have
trouble. Also, you may not be able to use all of the hard drive space.