[pcductape] Re: WinXP-to- W98

  • From: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:27:50 -0800

Hi Matt,
The first thing I see is you will need to remove the xp partition with something
that can handle ntfs file system, such as the xp install cd.  Win98 stuff can't
deal with this file system, until it's gone. Once the ntfs system is gone, you
should be able to use the win98 dos stuff to partition and format.

I think you already realize that win98 won't support any of the drivers on your
machine. The problem might be finding drivers that that are written for win98
and the newer machine hardware. This might be the catch. But, what the hey?
You can always reload Winxp. :O)

I understand what you are trying to do, but I'm a great believer in xp.
You might want to work harder on figuring out how to make those dos programs run
on xp.  It's my understanding, but with little experience, that most things can
be made to run on xp. Sometimes they may have little glitches, which can
sometimes be serious.
I guess I'm saying, have you really pursued this avenue?

I guess the last thing I can think of is, are the newer machines still Dos
based?
I'm not up with it on this, as I haven't seen a newer machine in awhile. :O)