[pcductape] WinXP Indexing Service Heads-Up!

  • From: "Huntress" <sanneumann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PC-Ductape Freelists" <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:24:26 -0400

For months now I've been plagued with a screen that turns white and red
checkerboard style and locks tight to where I have to reboot.  For the
longest time I've thought it was my NVIDIA video card overheating so I've
changed the heatsink and fan and changed the heat paste to no avail.
Something different occurred tonight after I rebooted the computer.  I have
a little program that starts with Windows called TClockEx that allows me to
monitor my RAM usage, among other things, in my system tray.  I had nothing
running and had just checked the task manager for errant programs that I
don't allow to run in the background and I noticed that my CPU usage was off
the scale and my RAM had dropped from 847Mb to 4Mb!  If I had been running
anything at all at that time the system would have locked up tighter than a
drum.  Well, since I already had the task manager open I re-checked the
processes that were running, but this time I grouped them by MEM usage so
that I could monitor what was taking up all the RAM and CPU.  As I sat there
watching a file suddenly popped to the top of the list called cidaemon.exe.
After it let go I ran a quick search on it and found it on the MS website
described as the Windws Indexing service.  I went to the Admin
tools/Services and disabled it and now the computer is suddenly purring like
a kitten!  I thought for sure I was going to have to replace my RAM and
vidcard!  Just a little heads-up for ya.

Sandi