[pcductape] Re: WinVNC

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pam <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:08:44 -0600

Hello Pam,

Saturday, March 8, 2003, 4:39:58 PM, you wrote:

P> As for over networks, I've used it from a client machine to access the
P> server onthe same network, but I don't know how one would access someone
P> else's client machine.  Anyone else know?

It would be the same over a network as over the internet. If accessing
a computer on a network via internet, you may not be able to do it,
although you can try setting up the incoming router (the one client,
probably) to route WinVNC's port to the client computer.  If the
computer has a static IP assigned by the ISP, then there shouldn't be
a problem, aside from firewall issues.

To get their IP address, have them click Start -> Run, and then type
COMMAND, then click OK. Then, when the command window appears, type
IPCONFIG. Then have them read off the IP ADDRESS line. If they get an
error with IPCONFIG, have them try WINIPCFG.

--
Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:Wizard@xxxxxxxx