[pcductape] Re: WinVNC

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 16:39:58 -0600

Right, but it's better because it's free, and what you are using it for is
exactly the same reason I got it for.  I haven't used PCAnywhere but I
understand it's very similar.
Install the server on your machine first so you can see what's required and
then you can talk to them over the phone to get it installed on their
machine, then all you need is their IP and password to be able to help them,
and they can watch what you do and learn too.  This is the reason I was
asking how to obtain the IP of someone through netstat that Scott helped me
with.  So far I haven't gotten it to tell me what I need to know though.
Another thought Sandi that I did.  I put it in their start up so that they
wouldn't have to figure out how to turn it on when they needed help. Right
now, the way we are getting past the IP problem is that you can hover over
the icon in the system tray when it is on and it will tell you your IP, but
if a novice doesn't do it often they forget how.

As for over networks, I've used it from a client machine to access the
server onthe same network, but I don't know how one would access someone
else's client machine.  Anyone else know?

Pam