[pcductape] Re: Win XP home ed.

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Victor Firestone <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:43:23 -0500

Hi Victor,

Saturday, October 11, 2003, 8:19:32 AM, you wrote:

VF> - clean out the registry once in a while - also compact it - the
VF> less defragged that is, the faster it loads upon booting [the

(ahem!)

VF> - use a good defrag tool and make sure your swap file is one
VF> contiguous file and not defragged.

(ahem!)

VF> Get rid of unused services [stop them manually and set them to
VF> manual start - be careful with this as some services are dependant
VF> upon others]

Yes, be vewy vewy careful; I once ended up reinstalling Windows
because of this, I think.  There are a number of sites that will
detail which can be turned off, although they don't always explain all
of the side effects.

VF> Scott mentioned Direct X 9 - only usable under the top level
VF> video/graphics cards at the moment and very few programs [mainly
VF> the latest games] even use the instructions contained within
VF> DirectX 9, so that is not quite necessary yet - but on that note -
VF> make sure you do have the latest drivers for all your hardware -
VF> newer versions of drivers are for the most part faster and better.

As I mentioned, it's planned to be used in the NEXT version of
Windows.  However, if you don't have DirectX 9 (I don't recall if it
comes with WinXP or not), then installing it *might* give you some
incremental speed improvements on the older instructions.

VF> Disable cataloging if you want.

I always do this; I've never seen much speed improvements when I've
done searches with or without it.

VF> Disable system restore if you want

Not especially recommended, though.

VF> There is lots and lots that can be done - just search around the
VF> web and you'll find it all. Tweaking a comp system is something
VF> that never really ends.

True!

See also these tweaks:

Disable previewing images in XP's Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/registry/rtips26.shtml
I don't know about anyone else, but for me, it's always been horribly
slow, so I was happy to find out how to turn the miserable thing off.

Disable Balloon Tips in Windows XP
http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/registry/rtips10.shtml
Ok for some things, but they're annoying when they're EVERYWHERE.

Disable Windows Messenger for XP Home / XP Pro
http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/registry/rtips17.shtml
If you don't use Microsoft's IM, then why keep it?

Windows NT NTFS Last Access TimeStamp
http://is-it-true.org/nt/registry/rtips71.shtml
Every time you LOOK at a file, it gets recorded...

--Scott.