[pcductape] Re: Win XP home ed.

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Eric Skeen <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:07:22 -0500

Hi Eric,

ES> Welcome to the World of XP! My humble little contribution to your epic is
ES> to consider adding more RAM to the new machine, 128MB is a wee bit on the
lean
ES> side for XP.  256MB is about the minimum you should run, 512MB is far
ES> better.

Agreed, 128M is small.  A friend of mine got an AMD Athlon 2400+, and it
was horribly slow, even after I took all of the crap out with MSCONFIG
and so forth.  It had only 128M, and mine has a gig.

Another thing to change is to go to Control Panel -> System ->
Advanced, and click on the Performance button, select the radio button
for "Adjust for best performance". You may then want to turn on "Show
window contents while dragging", "Smooth edges of screen fonts", and
"Use common tasks in folders". Everything else should be left off,
unless you enjoy having things "running" at a crawl just to get some
eye-candy. :)

The next version of Windows is supposed to use the built-in DirectX 9
capabilities of the generation of video cards that has just come out,
so the eye-candy that slows things down now may not have such a
negative effect in the new version.

--Scott.