[pcductape] Re: Was [Can anyone tell me what this means?] now - Security in Windows

  • From: "Victor Firestone" <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:26:07 +0200

Lisa,

You are on broadband , right? A lot of "evil-doers" on the internet look for
open computers on broadband rather than on dial-up. People on cable are in
most cases behind some sort of NAT belonging to the cable operators so they
are a tad safer.

What your firewall sees, and you should be happy that it does so, is when
those "evil-doers" are scanning and checking to find holes in whatever is at
that moment connected to the net.

They do this by running port-scanners - these are programs that send out
queries to a range of IP addresses, when they see a computer reply or when
the query bounces back - [most comps cannot diffrentiate between "good" or
"evil" queries and therefore do not "swallow" the query] , that is when the
scanner program starts to scan a range of ports on your IP address, looking
for a hole in your defenses.

These incidents are very frequent on broadband and as long as your firewall
does what it is meant to do then you are okay.

Further questions are welcome.

TTFN - Vic

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty,
to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better;

  _____