[pcductape] Virus Problems

  • From: BREZZ132@xxxxxx
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 04:33:14 EDT

Hi Guys & Gals - - -
My son brought me his girlfriend's PC to "fix".  He considers me somewhat of
a Guru on PC's.  There was a time that I was.  I lived thru the DOS & Windows
1.0 period up until DOS 7 & W98SE. Heck, in the 60's I was even a member of
the Standard's Group that developed the ASCII code. (Only then we called it
"pass-key" for Proposed American Standard Code for Information Interchange) In
the
late 90's my growth was stunted since I had a perfectly good, (albeit slow)
PC that did everything I wanted it to do.  I never ran or examined a PC running
Windows XP. And that is what son's girlfriend is running on an HP Pavillion
515N.
Said girl cannot get her PC to access the Net. She had  the ISP reps talk her
thru several reinstalls of AOL and CS-2000 - - - but they all lock up half
way thru the install.  She took the PC to a friend who ran "SysClean" on it and
told her she had over a dozen viruses on her machine and that his software
could not clean all of the viruses.  He suggested reformatting the hard disk
and
reloading XP.  And that is where I come in - - -as she pleaded with me to do
that task.
I really don't know where to start - - -
Her HP apparently has the hard drive partioned into a C and D but I'm not
sure whether her D drive, (full of HP stuff) can be safely reformatted. So I'm
asking  for some advice in this matter.  For example: Does XP have an
equivalent
to FDISK and if it does, is there something special I should watch out for?
She can't find an XP install disk, (is it buried in the D drive?) and, if so,
can she use my son's XP cd to reload the Op System.  Etc, etc, etc.
I'm sorry this is so long but I thought some background would be useful.  And
if you can't help, perhaps you could direct me to a site which might guide me
thru the format and reinstall.
Jupiter Matt