[pcductape] Re: VPN

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Victor Firestone <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 08:56:11 -0500

Hello Victor,

Saturday, April 19, 2003, 3:25:23 AM, you wrote:

VF> We are planning to impliment VNP soon here, we actually have been wanting to
VF> do this for a while - but postponed till after a huge upgrade that we just
VF> went through, which included a whole reset and config of the routers and the
VF> firewall, we are still ironing out the kinks in that. [Had to change
VF> everything coz we got whole new classes of IP's etc, and in any case it was
VF> time to retire the old firewall].

VF> If you want to ask ask - I could give it a shot, though not sure if I will
VF> have an answer for you.

Setting up VPN with Win2K and WinXP using PPTP turns out to be
ridiculously easy. The ridiculously hard part is figuring out how it's
done in the first place. Several hours poking around in Help and
Support (by both of us) was extremely unfruitful, with nearly every
page starting off with some assumption that you had some familiarity
with it already, paradoxically. For example, one page started off
talking about the Incoming Connections icon in Network Connections.
Huh?? What Incoming Connections icon??? If I had that, I would have
been able to figure out how to get it going from there.

Anyway, I'm interested in other ways of setting it up and in locking
down the security. Also, my co-worker can get into my drives, but I
haven't been able to get into his, so I guess I'll have to look at
things on his end, or else I need to get a step-by-step list of what
to check for for setting up sharing on WinXP. We're both familiar with
setting up sharing, so it's probably some stupid trivial thing
somewhere that's stopping it.

--
Best regards,
 Scott                            mailto:Wizard@xxxxxxxx