[pcductape] Re: System Restore

  • From: "Bob Noble" <bnoble@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:39:48 -0800

Hi Pam,
Actually the restore function is a very good program in xp.

It's usually set to record a restore point about once a day. If you get a virus
today, you could go in and restore it to yesterday, and the machine would not
know the virus entered, and the virus would be dead, because the restore date
was before the virus started, so therefore, no more.

It basically tracks the system settings.  A draw back would be that you just
download 200 megs of music and you crashed and need to restore.
You would not be able to find this music.

Restore is also good when one wants to experiment, or install something new.

To do this, click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system
restore.
Follow the directions and set a restore point and name it say, wizardtry.

Do the wizard.  If you don't like how your system works after the wizard, just
go to system restore and return it to the wizardtry restore point.
It will reboot after a restore.

I haven't used it a lot, but I find it very handy. Especially when someone says
they got a virus, and I ask it they ran a restore yet, they do, and so far, the
virus has been gone.

I've been concerned about losing emails doing this, but somewhere I read
yesterday that it doesn't effect your email.