[pcductape] Re: Symantec warning

  • From: "Chuck Haller" <teknospud@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 04:17:54 -0700

Well folks, I just got the hint.  I would wonder why anyone would crab about
sending out reminders; I've seen at least 3 or 4 messages about anti virus
With this one, I looked at my anti-virus dates and realized that for some
reason I had
turned off "Live Update" and my definitions were still from March..  Thank
you all for
the reminders!!!          Chuck

Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 2:54 AM
To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pcductape] Symantec warning
Just in from Symantec.

What is W32.HLLW.Fizzer@mm and how does it affect me?
Due to an increased number of submissions, Symantec Security Response is
upgrading W32.HLLW.Fizzer@mm from a Category 2 to a Category 3.

W32.HLLW.Fizzer@mm is a mass-mailing worm that sends itself to all contacts
in the Windows Address Book. It contains a backdoor that uses mIRC to
communicate with a remote attacker. It also contains a keylogger. The worm
attempts to terminate the processes of various anti-virus programs if they
are found to be active.

This worm will choose one of the following as the Subject line of the email
it sends out:

I thought this was interesting...
rather psychedelic...
found this on the net, you might like it...
Damn it feels good to be gangsta.
The way I feel - Remy Shand
Paradigm Shift
Know Thyself
I love you
Please discard if you don't like or agree with our present leadership...
little popup remover
B cannot remember
an interesting program...
You might not appreciate this...
I think you might find this amusing...
check this out... hehehe
see you tomorrow.
how are you?
you need to lose weight.
kind of simple, but fun nonetheless.
check it out.

The file attached to the email will contain one of the following extensions:

What action can I take from here?
Symantec Security Response posted virus definitions to protect against this
threat on May 12, 2003 (via LiveUpdate). All users of Norton AntiVirus who
do not have up-to-date virus protection should immediately run LiveUpdate
for protection from W32.HLLW.Fizzer@mm.

Virus definitions are available via the LiveUpdate feature in the Norton
AntiVirus product or the Symantec Security Response Web site.

Symantec Security Response encourages all Norton AntiVirus users to
regularly download virus definitions in order to protect against future
threats. For more information on how to run LiveUpdate, please click here.

UPGRADE CUSTOMERS - If you have an older version of Norton AntiVirus and
would like to upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2003, please click here.

NEW CUSTOMERS - If you would like to purchase Norton AntiVirus 2003, please
click here.

Symantec Security Response Team
Symantec Corporation

Scan for Viruses. FREE!
Free Service. Check your system online using Symantec's award-winning virus
detection technology to determine if it is infected by any known virus or
Trojan horse. Click here!
Special Offers!
Visit the Symantec Store Web site for comprehensive security solutions and
special Symantec promotions. Click Here
For non-English product versions, please visit our global store.