[pcductape] Re: SpyWareNuker

  • From: "Martha Bagwell" <mabagwell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:51:49 -0600

MessageThere is some talk that SpyWareNuker itself is spyware.  I got this from
a newsletter:
'A tale has been making the rounds of various privacy-oriented message boards
about a piece of spyware removal software which might be spyware itself. I'm
talking about "Spyware Nuker", a product made by Lion's Pride Enterprises.
Lion's Pride is the company responsible for a program called wnad. Wnad was
distributed last year by rankyou.com as a hidden popup-spawning module inside a
game called "Yo Mama Osama". Supposedly the money generated by the popup spam
was to go to The Red Cross to help with the WTC/Pentagon victim's fund, but I
am unaware of any money being disbursed to this fund by Lion's Pride
Enterprises or rankyou.com.

One post that I read at computing.net by someone who tested this software
reports that the main executable of the program is compressed in an obscure
format, making the source code unreadable. The poster also provided a snippet
from the End User License Agreement (EULA).

From the EULA: "You acknowledge that "Trek Blue" may, at their sole discretion
and for any purpose, provide updates, automatic or otherwise, to the "Trek
Blue" Program(s) including but not limited to the advertising or other
value-added software and technology."

"By installing, downloading, copying, updating or otherwise using the "Trek
Blue" Program(s), you specifically agree to include and/or accept the noted
software and technology through which "Trek Blue", its subsidiaries,
affiliates, partners, divisions, and clients provide value-added upgrades and
applications to your computer."

Judging by the EULA alone, certainly it is adware. Is this so-called spyware
cleaner also spyware? Further testing should find out one way or the other. '

So I didn't take any chances with this & won't install it.

Martha's Web