[pcductape] Re: So you run a turkey farm?

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:13:34 -0500

Hi Carl,

Sounds like a great plan to me!  I'll provide the turkey. ;-) Everyone bring
a covered dish.

To answer some of your questions...

Ryan is the youngest of 3 kids, and all 3 of them raised turkeys.  Ryan,
though hesitant at first, is following "tradition".  So far, in the 14 or 15
years we've raised them no one has gotten attached to the turkeys, although
one year was fun because we would let them out in the yard and when Mindy,
my middle child, went out to feed them and put them up they would all start
running and flapping hilariously and file in behind her and follow her to
the pen.  Reminded me of a mother hen the way the chicks follow "Mom". We
teased her for a couple of years about being momma hen.

The basic routine is that we get 10 tiny little cute day-old chicks in early
May, and watch them turn into big ol'(ugly) 35-40 lb giants.  On the 3rd
Wednesday of October we have a County Fair and all the 4H and FFA kids in
the county bring their project and compete for Grand Champion or Reserve
Champion for the animal category they raised.  Each child is allowed to
auction only one of his animals off the next day.  In all the years we've
raised turkeys we never won, until year before last, when Mindy, a senior
and her last year to be able to raise an animal, got Grand Champion.  Then
last year Ryan got Reserve Grand!  Mindy fussed (playfully) because it was
unfair that she'd raised turkeys about 9 years and didn't get Grand until
her last year, and here Ryan got Reserve his first year.  lol

Yes, he knows that people are going to eat them.  We always made very sure
that they understood that's what was going to happen to every animal we
raised (pigs, goats, broilers, turkeys).  In fact, we have provided the
thanksgiving turkey for the family reunion dinner (30-40 people) ever since
we started raising them.

We used to keep some of the rest of them to eat throughout the year, but now
we give them all away.

Time to run to town and get my fan switch now.  See you guys later tonight.

Pam