[pcductape] Re: Small print

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ctm007 <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 07:42:11 -0500

Hi Carl,

Monday, June 9, 2003, 7:11:52 AM, you wrote:

C> I'm not sure which address is correct for pcductape for computer
C> problems so I am trying them all. I understand that if one throws
C> mud at a wall for enough times eventually some of it will stick.
C> :-)

I got this through the FREELISTS address.

C> My problems is my new computer running Windows xp home has the
C> smallest text size and it's difficult for an older person (like me)
C> to read. I did config Internet Explorer 6 to use the largest text
C> size and it is still small. I went to Control Panel, Display and
C> selected a theme with the largest text size and now my top menu bar
C> and my scroll bars do have large text but the programs are still
C> smallest text size. For example, Quicken has the smallest text as
C> well as the address book in Outlook Express.

Go to Display -> Settings, and change the screen resolution to suit
you, if necessary.  Then, go to Display -> Appearance and change the
font size to suit.  You may have to restart in order for all
applications to correctly show the new size.  Once you get it mostly
ok, but still want to do some tweaking, click on the Advanced button,
and adjust the font in specific places that it's needed.

Note that may web pages hard-code the font sizes, which makes them
basically user-unfriendly. Check the IE options to see what it says
about overriding the fonts on the page. Also look at the accessibility
stuff. If you run across such site, write to them and complain. Remind
them that the percentage of older people is increasing, and older
people with computers tend to have more money than younger people with
computers.  And, just in case they're inclined to blow you off, remind
them that most people won't even bother to write; they'll just go
elsewhere without saying anything.

--Scott.