[pcductape] Re: Shall I drop kick the printer? / Possible Solution?

  • From: Lisa Schnepf <lars2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:24:35 -0400

http://home.att.net/~arwomack01/#ClogCleanning

Clog Cleaning For Epson printers:

Q:  I have done ## cleaning cycles and I still have a clog!  What do I
do now?

   - Cause the printer to want to change the ink carts
                1270/1280/1290/870 Press the orange button under the lid
                1160 hold the paper eject button 3 seconds

   - Unplug the printer (do not turn it off first!)

   - Fold a half piece of paper towel over a few times until it fill fit
into
        the galley _beneath_ the print head.  Some people tape it down.

   - Position the ink carriage over the paper towel.

   ~ Remove the Ink cartridge

     ~ Cut a 1.5 inch long piece of 3/32 of an inch diameter heat shrink
tubing.

         Heat shrink tubing = Available at Radio Shack or in electrical
supply
                               sections of hardware stores.

     ~ Slip it over the ink inlet tubes as to create
                   a reservoir for a cleaning solution.

                   Note:  You can do one at a time or cut 6 pieces of
tubing
                               and clean all the print heads
simultaneously.

     ~ I do did this in six steps.

       Step 1 ~ I filled the tube with glass cleaner (Windex) and let it
set for
                   15 minutes, as to give it a chance to flow through
the print
                   head nozzles and break the bonds of any dried ink
particles
                   in the print head.  Recently, users have reported
even better
                         results using Fantasik cleaner, it appears to
be a better
                         solvent for the Epson inks.  Do NOT however,
try even more
                         aggresive cleaners such as 409, or bathroom
cleaners.

                        Move the Paper towel over so a new section
absorbs ink/windex.

       Step 2 ~ WARNING!! - Forcing air through the heads _could_ damage
them.
                        Better to be patient and allow the fluid to work
its way
                        into the clog.

                    Refill the tube with glass cleaner and force it
through the
                   print heads with canned compressed air or a syringe.

                 Canned Air = The type you buy at home / office supply
stores
                              for dusting: computers - printers - disk
drives
                              etc. Be sure to get the ones with the
straw; it
                              fits in the 3/32" tubing and allows you to
                              create significants air flow through the
                              print head.

                        Syringe - available at most pharmacies without
the needle of course!

       Step 3 & 4 ~ I repeat step 1 and step 2 with glass cleaner.

       Step 5 & 6 ~ I repeat step 1 and step 2 with denatured alcohol to
avoid
                     any residue which might cause problems with the ink
                     follow.  Some users have reported this step as
unneccessary.

         Step 7 - Make sure the paper towel is not completely soaked and
not absorbing
                        any more liquids, replace as necessary.

Further reading on clogs, their causes and other possible solutions:

Jon Cone's Inkjet Mall discussion of clogs and clearing them

Back to top