[pcductape] Re: STOP error (moved to Freelists)

  • From: trapper <trapper@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:04:38 -0900

Carl I was thinking about this customer..How embarrassing that must have been for you, but then I was trying to figure out how is it he was able to see all this on your screen? Most busn I go into you can't see the screen unless you climb behind the counter..
What was he doing behind your work area??
Why would he presume that this virus ( if it was one ) came from a porno site..what id it as such?? Better yet how did he know unless he had been there himself..
I would have fallen over if someone said that to me..especially if there was others around..

Carl wrote:

Hey Trapper,

Yep we must be bored. But this is also a learning experience. After we find out what happened, maybe I can take preventative actions to prevent it from re occurring. A customer comes into my office and right away he's saying I got a virus from a porn site I visited. I jumped down his throat and told him no way I visit porn sites, of course my secretary may have while I was out of the office. But when I run Cleanup3, I always check to see what sites she did visit during the day before I remove all of them. A year ago I had a 17 year old high school girl that did and I showed her the porn sites displayed in Cleanup3 and she cried. She is not with me any more.

----- Original Message ----- From: "trapper" <trapper@xxxxxxx> To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 11:59 AM Subject: [pcductape] Re: STOP error (moved to Freelists)

Yes I understood that, but was wondering if that was what he was saying was wrong with Carls computer. Sounded to me like he was saying just clean your memory and all will be ok again...I still believe he has to start with the registry..
Replace it or re-install it...I am thinking that if all is nuked to 0, re-partitioned and all that stuff..then the computer will come back into play. Can't see why not from this end. But hey I have been wrong before..One time way back last century...ha!
Once it is fixed the rest of the stuff will fall into place..
I of course am assuming that the drives are in physical contact..that is not unplugged.

I find this little scenario interesting.. His computer is in the shop and all of us who are 1000;s of miles away are trying to second guess what happened and is happening..We must really be bored...ha!

Huntress wrote:

He's saying that he has had this happen on a few Dells recently and the problem was with the RAM contacts becoming dirty so you have to take them out and clean them with a pencil eraser and put them back in. The "dirt" is actually carbon deposits that can be caused by voltage fluctuations. :-)