[pcductape] Re: STOP error (moved to Freelists)

  • From: DGrell7446@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:15:08 EST

In a message dated 12/17/04 3:59:45 AM Central Standard Time,
Ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The 1st thing today is to try the Windows 2000 cd and "repair" the Windows.
>   This unit came to me from Dell with Windows 2000 Professional on it and
> has never failed;  until now.   One of my customers came in to pay his bill
> and
> saw the error message and said "It's the new virus going around".   I've not
> heard of a new virus doing this.   Of course, I'm sure one can.  The
> surprise is this unit has the most recent updates of AVG 7 and
> SpywareBlocker.   I'm
> thinking the hard drive has died, rather than a virus.

    Just ran into this similar problem with 2000. With 2000 an inproper shut
down can blow up the registry, something about the hardware section of the
registry. I could not get the repair to work for me. Oh well
    Here is a google search about this
    Hope you have better luck than I did.