[pcductape] Re: STOP error - Blue Screen

  • From: "Richard_Crumlich" <richard_crumlich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 02:02:55 -0600

My 2 cents.... and may have nothing what so ever to do with the discussion
but... this is what I have taught over 100 computer, radar, and electronics
techs to do first rather than jumping around... so far it has worked almost all
the time...

Quck Fault Analysis Checklist.

1) Reseat all cards, memory, and processor, lightly press on Bios and any other
socketed chips to reseat them in their sockets, reset Bios to failsafe mode
(lowest performance) , reboot...
     BOOT YES -----------------Check OS...
     BOOT NO -------------------goto 2

2) Remove all cards except video unless it is on board.. remove all repeat ALL
drive cables from controller, remove all repeat ALL power cables from drives..
     SYSTEM POST NO ------  Check PS with known good PS and narrow it to PS or
Motherboard... GOTO 4
     SYSTEM POST YES ----  Goto 3

3) Add drives ONE AT A TIME to include power cables... if all this is a pass...
add cards ONE AT A TIME ... This should narrow the problem down.
   If any unit fails.. check against in different slots or different positions
on ribbon cables....

4) PS good system still no POST... check Memory with Known good memory... check
Processor with known good processor... or check those components on a known
good MB

Don't assume that cables.. Molex (power) connectors, PCI / ISA slots on MB, or
controllers on MB  don't go bad... narrow it down to deal with what is the
problem.

I have seen many a system not even start the POST because floppy drives or
other devices failed.. putting to heavy a drain on the PS... If the power
supply does not present an adequate signal on the POWER GOOD line... the MB
will not even attempt to boot. hence removing all power cables and cards...

XP, 2000, ME, and newer *nix OS's  all have the capability of telling a Card
and the MB what resources to use where... hence.. remove all peripheral units
and reset BIOS..

On a MB if all other checks make it appear the MB is at fault.. remove all
external wiring.. IE power light HD activity light etc.. leave MB main Molex
and supplemental on newer processors / MB ...connected... jump power switch
pins with a paper clip etc... if it posts.. reconnect one at a time.. most
indicators are LED's they can short out... again power drain means no power
good signal... no POST no Boot ...

All this can be completed in 15 minutes.. and leaves nothing to chance... and
often step 1 Solves it all... chip creep is still alive and kicking....

Rick