[pcductape] Registry security

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:38:24 -0500

Hi, all,

I have a problem with changing security settings in the registry. I'm
trying to script a fix to the problem described in this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260151. With
REGEDT32, it's a simple matter of going to the right spot and marking
one checkbox. REGEDT32's support is incomplete, though, in that I
can't seem to export the settings; using the resulting file with
REGINI (from the Win2K resource kit) actually makes things worse. In
fact, after experimenting with all of the security values, it
apparently can't be done correctly with RegIni, since there's no
option to give User full access. Also forget about importing, since
that option seems to not be available with REGEDT32. I saw XCACLS, but
it appears to be only for files, not the registry. Anyone have any
suggestions on how to do this? There appear to be other ways of doing
this, such as Group Policy and maybe INF files, but I have no idea how
to do this, and this must work with Win2K computers that may or may
not be standalone and may or may not be domain members.

--
Best regards,
 Scott                          mailto:Wizard@xxxxxxxx