[pcductape] Registry hack

  • From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxx>, <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:42:03 -0600

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the lesson on software as it relates to Windows Operating System.
I read your very 1st paragraph with much interest when you said that the
Internet Explorer is used to operate other programs.   I recently discovered
that the default email program for Windows 2000 is Outlook Express;   not
Outlook.   That floored me.   And our Outlook Express 6 is mostly Outlook
Express 5.

Anyway, the reason I began searching Microsoft.com knowledge database is I have
a little problem I am at a loss as how to fix.   Some days ago I hack my
registry to cause the Internet Explorer and the Outlook Express to display my
company's name when in use.   Very nice;   my customers are impressed (I
usually turn my computer monitor to show my customer what I am doing to his
account while at the Internet page).   The problem is that when I go to a
website that has a button for an email address I get an error message that says
"Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not
properly installed".   Of course I checked the control panel for add/remove
programs and tried to fix Internet Explorer but no good.   I cannot seem to fix
the issue.   I do know the work around;  that is, go to "View" and then
"Source" and then copy the email address and paste to my Outlook Express
program.   This is extra work.   Is there a fix?