[pcductape] Re: Question about Photo program.

  • From: Victor Firestone <vlfll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 01:46:29 +0200

Hi there, I would have to say that in this case the MDAC is only for the data access components - you don't have to worry about it phoning out. If you want to be on the safe side, just disconnect while you are using the software and see if it tries to make a connection.

As for the program itself, hard to tell the website was in German, but a quick look on the net did not turn up anything bad about the program

Ray Spitz wrote:

Hi All,

This is just a question as opposed to an actual problem. I downloaded a free
32MB photo edit program ie: "Studio Line Photo Basic". The install-program
requires me to download and install Microsoft MDAC v-2.8 (Microsoft Data
Access Components ie; MDAC). Microsoft describes this as a type of "server
pgm". None of my other photo programs require this file.
I have not installed any of this stuff yet. At this point I don't plan to
I don't want a server facility on my computer. I am, however, curious about
the intent of the photo-pgm supplier. Is this "malware"? Am I being paranoid
again ?

best regards to all, Ray Spitz

TTFN – Vic /

affection of children;