[pcductape] Question: Norton Antivirus Definitions for April 9th

  • From: Lisa Schnepf <lars2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lisa Schnepf <lars2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 21:25:36 -0400

My neighbor who watches the baby uses my computer sometimes while I'm at
work.  Today she downloaded a game, and when I came home my computer was
on, and I could see that Norton Firewall was trying to block something.
The file was called spvic.exe and it said to Block this, so I hit ok.
It came up as a high risk.  It kept coming up. I kept blocking it.  I
saw that the lady downloaded something because there was a shortcut on
my desktop for a chess game.  My firewall (also Norton) wasn't showing
up, so I got suspicious that she   downloaded an infected file.  There
was no setup file on my desktop, so I'm assuming that she just opened
the file from the website, without saving it first to the desktop and
scanning it for viruses.  I wanted to update Norton first before
scanning just in case, so I did that.  When it rebooted my computer my
firewall and antivirus both disappeared. I used Go Back to try to get my
computer to work again the way it used to, and I had to go back 6 days
to get to the next safe point.  I ended up losing some pictures of the
baby that I had taken on my digital camera and recently downloaded.
After using GoBack, it got rid of the the game that my neighbor
downloaded, and Norton worked again.  So again I tried to update it and
it came up with the same problem -  every time I try to download the
updates for April 9th, my Firewall disappears.  So again I had to do
GoBack to get rid of the update.  Right now my virus definitions are for
April 2.  Does anyone know if Symantec is having a problem with this
particular update, or is my computer infected?  I did scan with the
files that are up to April 2nd and it came up clean.  If it's not a
virus, how come I can't get the latest update without my Firewall
disappearing?

   Also, if anyone answered my email about Netscape mail, please resend
the answer, because I lost all of my mail from April 7th to now.
Thanks.

Lisa

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong"  ~ Abraham
Lincoln