[pcductape] Re: Protect yourselves

  • From: "Pam" <ltf01@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:12:25 -0500

Hi Don,

The specifics of this virus are both unimportant and unknown.

Unimportant because the purpose of the alert was exactly as you stated, to
remind folks to keep their virus protection up to date, which you obviously
know how to do.  But everyone on this list is not as experienced as you.
Some are very new to computers.  My message was intended as a helping tool
for those who don't know or haven't yet learned these things.

Unknown, because freelists was kind enough to strip off the attachment,
thereby disabling the threat and the ability to track down the identity of
the virus.  The headers of the sender were also altered, having gone through
freelists' servers.  In addition, some viruses are capable of spoofing the
sender's identity.  Not being able to identify the virus makes us not be
able to know in this case.

In the future, if something posted to the list does not apply to you please
do not assume it was aimed at you since you are not the only person on this