[pcductape] Re: Protect yourselves

  • From: "Ctm007" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 03:27:34 -0500

Hi Bob,
Hi Pam,
Or could it be we are just too embarrassed to ask.   I read something on
another list that if I downloaded and install this small program, it would
enhance my registry to prevent the attacks from Spyware;  so I did.   Boy
and it works good;  too good.   I no longer could access my Internet bank
accounts and other sites.   So I hack the registry and deleted the stuff
that installed with this stupid program.   That was the end of that
computer.   I was aware that if I had my Windows xp cd, I could just
reinstall Windows xp and go on with life.   But I could not find my Windows
xp disk.   I searched and searched and even invaded my daughter's house and
searched there;   what a nightmare.   I called my son who lives many miles
away and accused him of theft.   This past Sunday, my son comes to visit and
he is in my "study"; my sweatshop;  my computer room and he  is looking at a
stack of empty boxes of stuff I had purchased over the past few years;
like cdwriter drives, software, etc.  He pulls out this Windows xp box and
looks inside and there is my cd diskette.   I felt about 2" high.   darn.
I still haven fixed the computer that I ruined.   I used the failure to find
the Windows xp as an excuse to buy a new machine and I'm typing on it now.
:-)