[pcductape] Re: New Virus

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jan L. Hodges" <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:44:16 -0500

Hi Jan,

Saturday, October 4, 2003, 11:17:39 PM, you wrote:

JLH> Swen was an absolute nightmare even if none of the attachments were ever
JLH> opened on my computer. In less than five days I received more than 1200.
JLH> They were either a variation of the Microsoft security patch type or
JLH> apparently warning me of a failed message attempt. Each virus laden message
JLH> had an attachment of between 146-153k.

JLH> Earthlink was caught totally unprepared and never did initiate any measures
JLH> to warn or protect their customers or their own servers. Outlook express
JLH> would crash from the onslaught, web mail would fill up so quickly you
JLH> couldn't keep up. Or sign in because "authentication servers" were down.

JLH> When I consulted Pobox.com, my mail forwarder, I found they have spam
JLH> filters which I had never activated. Once I did, mail ran so much more
JLH> smoothly. I don't know how they do it but they caught very little that
JLH> wasn't spam. Interestingly, the few pieces of legit mail was from Topica
JLH> groups. For whatever reason, Topica seems to be problem prone as far as
JLH> being identified as spam.

JLH> Jan...who is no longer with Earthlink

I got fed up with Earthlink also... especially after talking to web
host tech support folks who couldn't seem to answer my questions. I'm
now with a "third party" web host who actually knows what he's talking
about and has no trouble answering questions, since his primary
business is web site design and support. I was with them because they
bought out my local ISP. The problems started when my email account
wasn't transferred over automatically along with everyone else, which
I guess I should have taken as a hint.

From the viewpoint of most hosts, more spam is probably good, since
they can then charge for the bandwidth and storage used... 1200 * 150K
is 180 megs.