[pcductape] Re: New Virus

  • From: "Jan L. Hodges" <Siriuswriter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:17:39 -0500

Swen was an absolute nightmare even if none of the attachments were ever
opened on my computer. In less than five days I received more than 1200.
They were either a variation of the Microsoft security patch type or
apparently warning me of a failed message attempt. Each virus laden message
had an attachment of between 146-153k.

Earthlink was caught totally unprepared and never did initiate any measures
to warn or protect their customers or their own servers. Outlook express
would crash from the onslaught, web mail would fill up so quickly you
couldn't keep up. Or sign in because "authentication servers" were down.

When I consulted Pobox.com, my mail forwarder, I found they have spam
filters which I had never activated. Once I did, mail ran so much more
smoothly. I don't know how they do it but they caught very little that
wasn't spam. Interestingly, the few pieces of legit mail was from Topica
groups. For whatever reason, Topica seems to be problem prone as far as
being identified as spam.

Jan...who is no longer with Earthlink