[pcductape] Re: New DSL

  • From: "Richard Crumlich" <richard_crumlich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcductape@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:39:03 -0500

Ouch...... and the answer is ..... Yes, No, and Maybe..

The fiber really has no impact since DSL technology uses.. Copper wire...
not Fiber....
Assuming that there is a direct copper circuit from your premise to the ISP
it would be possible to install a DSL modem at both ends... then the ISP
could patch from there into there broadband / ethernet network and you would
have DSL at your premise... The modems are not that expensive.. $100-$200.
the phone circuit could be what most phone companies term an "Alarm Circuit"
where it is a direct connection from your premise to another premise /
business etc.. These circuits are used by Home alarm monitoring systems...In
this case connected directly to your ISP.. and bing bing bing you have a
Homebrew DSL line.... That takes care of the Yes and No. Now the Maybe...
beyond one or two connections you need some sort of Access Server... usually
termed by the telecom industry a DSLAM... Digital Subscriber Line Access
Multiplexer.. this connects several DSL circuits into one network
connection. Costs can run from $500... from the guy in the back alley... to
over $10,000 depending on the type, condition and quality... then you have
to have the multiple DSL copper circuits routed into your system.. Most
DSLAM's are colocated at the phone companies central office for simplicity
and ease of management. DSL costs for an ISP can add up real fast.

And the answer is ....    ?

Rick